Take Our Daughters and Sons to Work Day at HKUST
Take Our Daughters and Sons to Work® Day at HKUST
Apr 26, 2012 Thursday
Organized by the Women Faculty Association of HKUST
from the TODS Day are posted. Please
complete an online survey (URL in your email) to give us feedback.
: Detailed Program
of the evening Puppet and Electroacoustic Music Performance.
: Here is an updated grouping
of the participating
children based on preference and lab capacity, and a roster
of the parent
helpers (Big thanks for helping!)
: Here is a short description
of the music puppet show to be held at 8-9PM at LTH.
: Here is an updated schedule
. Grouping information
will be posted in a few days.
Take Our Daughters And Sons To Work®
is a US-based program that promotes work-life balance and provides children an enriching educational
experience by exposing them to the workplaces and jobs of their parents or guardians. The 2012 program
will be on Thursday, April 26.
The Women Faculty Association (WFA) of HKUST is organizing this event at HKUST for the first time. Due
to our limited experience and resources, we will accept up to 30 children of primary school age (roughly 5-12 years old)
along with their accompanying adults for the program. We will give priority to WFA members and
volunteer hosts of the activities of the day.
Our focus this year is Science and Engineering, given the HKUST work environment.
The following is a list of the activities for the day. Note that children will be accompanied
by their adults all the time during the day and they may choose to skip any activity listed in the program.
- HKUST Campus Overview. Presentation by Mr. Mike Hudson, Director of Facility Management Office.
- The Library as Workplace. An interactive presentation by Ms Victoria Caplan, University Library.
- Music activities. Led by Prof. Oliver Lo, Division of Humanities.
- Language activities. Hosted by Ms. Melissa Megan and Mr. Mark Hopkins, Language Center.
- Hands-on computer graphics demo, created by
the group of Prof. Chiew-Lan Tai, Department of Computer Sciences and Engineering.
- Interactive Multi-lingual Games. Hosted by Prof. Dekai Wu, Department of Computer Science and Engineering.
- Visit to Biology Labs. Hosted by Prof. Pingbo Huang, Division of Life Sciences.
- Visit to the Coastal Marine Lab. Hosted by Prof. Wen-Xiong Wang, Division of Life Sciencess.
- Visit to the Robotics Labs. Hosted by Prof. Zexiang Li, Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering.
- Computer music performance. Created by Prof. Andrew Horner and Dr. Lydia Ayers, Department of Computer
Science and Engineering.
- Mini-session on Physics. Organized by Miss Ann Fung and Fanny Lau, School of Science.
The registration is full and thus closed on Apr 17 due to time, venue capacity, and resource constraints. If you are interested in
some specific activities, e.g., the morning and afternoon single track sessions, and the evening music performance,
please contact Qiong Luo at firstname.lastname@example.org
and see if we can accommodate your request. Thank you for your interest.
Resources for Parents/Guardians
A template of request for leave form
to the school. Feel free to download it, fill it out, and submit it to the school
of the participating child.
The organizing committee consist of the following members: Rashmi Adaval, Pascale Fung, Kei May Lau, Qiong Luo, Sujata Visaria, and Wenjing Ye.
For inquiries, please contact Qiong Luo at email@example.com